Thursday, March 1, 2012

Capitalize that 'S' word, I THINK NOT!

During the editing of "Kingdom Style of Writing," it was brought to my attention by the editor that the word 'satan' is actually capitalized in the Bible. What a fine time to find out after having written five books, knowing that I'd never capitalized that word before.

To check the validity of this rather disturbing revelation, I picked up my Strong's Exhaustive Concordance Giant Print. I looked up the word and my eyes beheld a long trail of caps to that name. Oh no,she was right. It is capitalized in the Bible. I'd never realized that before.

Since it was brought to my attention, now what will I do? Well, I guess I can switch out satan for devil, because I only saw devil capitalized twice in Revelation 12 and 20. I personally do not want to capitalize it because he is my enemy. He can't stand me and I can't stand him. In some books you will find other writers who don't really care for capitalizing the word and will include this note in their copyright page:
Take note that the name satan and related names are not capitalized. We choose not to acknowledge him, even to the point of violating grammatical rules.
Well, aspring writer the decision is up to you. Will you, or will you not? Note: Whatever decision you make, trust me, you will not go to hell for it!!!

No comments: